TBA Credit Union is a very proud sponsor of the Outstanding Educator Awards, an annual ceremony to honor our educators in Northwest Education Services and the five-county service area of the Traverse City Chamber of Commerce: Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, and Leelanau Counties. The Outstanding Educator Award recognizes those special individuals that make a difference every day to improve our community through the work they have chosen.
Congratulations to the 2023 Outstanding Educators:
- Susan Broad – Teacher Assistant, North Ed Life Skills Center
- Marshall Collins – Regional Health & DEIB Coordinator, North Ed
- Holly Decker – School Social Worker, TCAPS Traverse City High School
- Mary Hall – K-12 Art Teacher, Suttons Bay Public Schools
- Will Jurkiewicz – English & Psychology Teacher, GTACS St. Francis High School
- Sarah Olree – Department Chair, North Ed Life Skills Center/Transition Campus
- Megan Olsen – Library Media Parapro, TCAPS Traverse City West Senior High School
- Julie Puckett – Math Teacher, TCAPS Traverse City Central High School
- Dan Rosenburg – Social Studies Teacher, TCAPS Traverse City West Senior High School
- Heidi Sleder – ELA Teacher, Elk Rapids Cherryland Middle School
Outstanding Educator Award Facts:
- The award program was established in 1984 (39 years ago) by the Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce as a means to spotlight individuals in the field of education who make a difference every day to improve the community through the work they have chosen.
- Northwest Education Services and TBA Credit Union partnered with the Chamber (now Traverse Connect) in 2007 to support the development and outreach of the program and encourage active engagement by all educational institutions in Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska and Leelanau counties (the ISD service area).
- Each year the nomination window opens in March with a call to action for school and community members to consider nominating individuals who demonstrate exceptional service to students through their commitment and contributions that improve the quality of this region’s educational system (Public, Charter, Private K-12 and postsecondary institutions).
- Eligible nominees include teachers, support staff (secretaries, classroom aides, custodians, counselors, therapists and other certified staff, etc.), bus drivers, and school administrators.
- Nominees must have at least five years of experience in their field.
- The selection process is highly competitive and nominations must include a letter of recommendation from the individual’s supervisor to be considered eligible for the award. Additional letters of support (limit: 5 pages) increase the success rate of the nominee.